Treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases often involves the long-term use of antibiotics. Doctors always warn that you should forget about alcohol during a course of antibiotic therapy. One of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics is Zithromax based on Azithromycin. In the description of the drug, you won’t find a word about alcohol. Manufacturers obviously do not assume that it would occur to someone to use azithromycin with alcohol.
However, it can be difficult for people with a pathological love of alcoholic drinks to stop drinking while taking antibiotics. Special studies of the interaction of azithromycin and alcohol have hardly been conducted. After all, every physician knows what effect such a “cocktail” can provide you with. Keep on reading to learn about how Zithromax antibiotic interacts with alcohol.
How Does Azithromycin Interact with Alcohol
Individuals who are treated with azithromycin should abstain from drinking mixed refreshments. Above all else, liquor influences the pharmacokinetics of the medication. The utilization of liquor will essentially disable the assimilation of the medication and its aggregation in the tissues. This implies the restorative impact will be less articulated. That is, the treatment of the sickness can be altogether postponed, or even lead to the development of different difficulties.
The directions for the medication showed that azithromycin is contraindicated in individuals experiencing extreme liver illness. For this situation, the liver can not completely play out the capacity of balance.
Important: There are cases when the use of azithromycin by people with liver pathology led to the development of fulminant hepatitis and liver failure. This is a very serious condition that poses a threat to life. Read more..
The liver is the main organ of azithromycin elimination from the body. It can be argued that the use of azithromycin with alcohol causes a double blow to the liver. Even a healthy liver will not be easy to cope with two types of toxic substances – an antibiotic and alcohol. And this as a result can lead to the defeat of hepatocytes.
It is important to understand that from such a double load the liver is not able to adequately neutralize and remove alcohol from the body. Therefore, it is expected that even a small dose of alcohol can lead to rapid intoxication and severe hangover, manifested by nausea, vomiting, insomnia and other troubles.
The next problem is the kidneys, which will inevitably be overwhelmed by the effects of a mixture of antibiotic and alcohol. Add to this the irritant effect of ethanol and drugs on the mucous membranes of the stomach and intestines. Now let us recall the influence of drinks “with degrees” on metabolism. Experts know that the decay products of ethanol significantly violate the metabolism. It is not safe at the moment when the body has to absorb an antibiotic. The active substance of the drug simply will not be fully absorbed, and the effect on infectious agents in the body will be very weak. At best, this will slow overall recovery. At worst, it will allow the pathogenic bacteria to bring the body to various complications of the existing disease.
So, let’s conclude which consequences the interaction of Zithromax and alcohol is going to have:
- The most harmless thing that can occur is the lack of effect of antibiotic treatment.
- More serious conditions include: hepatic and renal failure – through these organs, metabolites of ethanol and antibiotics are removed from the body, and under double load their cells die;
- Side effects when taking the drug and alcohol can be distorted, so the probability of incorrect dosage of the drug; terms of excretion of metabolites are violated, as a result of which the body gets additional intoxication;
- The disease enters a chronic phase, and this means the impossibility of its cure and constant medication.
- In addition, if the liver cells are damaged, the effect of ethanol will be longer, and drunkenness will come faster.
- Even a small dose of alcohol in the treatment of azithromycin will lead to a long severe hangover.
Possible Side Effects You May Experience
The instructions for the drug contain information about the following side effects:
- Neurological disorders – dizziness, headache, drowsiness or irritability, tinnitus (tinnitus).
- Cardiovascular disorders – chest pain, rapid heartbeat.
- Sensory disorders – loss of hearing and visual acuity.
- Digestive disorders – vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, jaundice, pancreatitis, liver necrosis with the development of acute liver failure and possible death.
- Kidney damage – the development of interstitial nephritis and acute renal failure.
- Allergic reactions.
Drinking alcohol can increase the toxicity of azithromycin, and in this case, the appearance of side effects is quite expected. Antibiotics have long been recognized as the most effective group of drugs to combat various infections. If the patient has a history of alcoholism, the doctor should warn that azithromycin and alcohol are incompatible.
When Can You Start Drinking Alcohol After the Treatment Course
Thus, if you drink alcohol, then only in a small amount three days after the last administration of azithromycin. But before you drink, think about the fact that a course of antibiotic therapy has already become a tangible load for the liver, is it worth it to load the body with alcoholic beverages? The answer is obvious. You’d better forget about alcohol at least for the period of taking Zithromax not to suffer from serious side effects.
Remember that antibiotic treatment seriously burdens the digestive and excretory systems of even a practically healthy person. It is not necessary for serious infections to check your body for strength, using alcohol. It is important to keep in mind that the compatibility of azithromycin and alcohol is kept at zero. Treatment requires a complete and unconditional waiver of any alcoholic beverages. Violation of this prohibition may lead to the most adverse consequences.